Friday, October 24, 2014

How to Add Personalized Text to My Printables!



Did you know you can add text to my printables (PDF Files) before your print them?  It's an awesome, and often under-used feature in Adobe Reader and I want to show you how to use it!
  • Make sure you have the most current version of Adobe Reader {HERE, it's free!}.  Adobe Reader is a globally used, safe and widely accepted PDF viewing program.  For this tutorial, you must have the most current version.
  • Go to your Document Folder and open/click on the PDF you want to work with. I chose to work on my Perpetual Dates Calendar... it's a great organizer for you, but when all of your important family dates are added, it becomes personalized and makes a great gift for Moms, Sisters, Aunts & Grandmas!  Add the dates once, then print for everyone! {{wink! wink!}}
  • OK... It's super easy.  Click on the "Comment" box in the top right corner of your screen.


  • When you click on "Comment" - a box will open up with various options/annotations.
  • Select the "T" to add a text box (there are several other text editing options as you can see, I won't go over them in this tutorial, but they are fun to play with  so you are familiar with what types of changes and additions you can make).

  • When you choose "T"... an "Add Text Comment" box will pop open.
  • Use the drop down menu to select your font.
  • Choose your font size.
  • Place the cursor in the basic area you'd like your text to appear, it might not line up exactly. Don't worry about that - I'll show you how to line it up... :)
  • Click "off" your text box when you are done typing, then run your mouse over again until an "►" appears near the text box.
  • Click your mouse and that will allow you to "grab" the text box and move it to the exact location you want it to be.
  • PS... It's slightly touchy or fussy until you get used to it - so you may need to play with it a bit to get a feel for how it works.  Once you've moved a few boxes around, you'll "get it" and each additional change will be easy.
  • To add more text boxes, simply "click" where ever you'd like them to be and just start typing.
  • Move each box around as needed.
  • You can also change font & text size as you go - each text box can be the same or different depending on how you adjust the settings.
  • Advance pages and add text throughout the document.
IMPORTANT:  When you are done you MUST SAVE your edits!  Click on "File" - then choose "Save As" and re-name the document.  If you just choose "Save" - it'll replace the original blank document with the changes you made.  If you choose "Save As" - your original PDF will remain blank as it was and a NEW file WITH YOUR EDITS will be saved as well.


Another fun PDF to add personalized text to are my printable calendars and planners.  In this one, I used one of the LDS Presidency Planners to add birthdays, calendar items and meetings.  A great option to personalize your calendar prior to printing. 

I hope this tutorial is helpful and taught you something new!

YOU CAN VISIT MY SHOP HERE :)

Have a great day!



I USE SCRAPBOOK MAX TO DESIGN ALL OF MY PRINTABLES.
Click HERE to get a free 30 trial of this fun, easy & awesome software!




8 comments:

Marsha said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm sure I will be using this bit of information, often!

marie.mathew said...

This is the best thing ever!! I love your calendars (well, all your printables, actually) and now that I can customize them they are even more perfect. Thank you so so much!!

Colette said...

Yay!! I'm so glad this will be a helpful post for you guys!

Valerie said...

Thank you!!! This is ground breaking info for me, ha ha! The possibilities w/ PDF files just split wide open for me. :)

Bingham Co said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bingham Co said...

Hmm - my Adobe doesn't give me all those options. Only Sticky Note and Highlight Text. :( I have the newest version. Any other suggestions on how to get more options?

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

I'm in the same boat as Bingham Co. I don't have all the options you do and I just updated my Adobe viewer. I'd love to try this, though!!

Jonathan Merriam said...

I have an older computer, which isn't able to handle the latest Adobe Reader. Any suggestions on how else I can edit my download to include personalized information?