Friday, July 30, 2010

Step-by-Step Layout Design


I've been dying to use "Summer Breeze" by Just So Scrappy to create some layouts of my darling little Grace.  This kit even reminds me of her... she's so girly and this color scheme fit her personality perfectly!  I'll take you step-by-step though the process of creating this particular layout and hopefully it'll give you some ideas to get started!


I like to start with random placement of my first few elements to create what I call the skeleton of my design.  I picked some fun coordinating pieces and these 3 elements are what inspired the rest of my design.  Try to stay away from "centering" everything.  Notice how my floral strip is above the center line and the blue ribbon is slightly to the right of the center line.  Honestly, I just toss them in there where they looked good... I don't fuss to make it perfect, symmetrical or center.


Next, I like to take some elements and start framing my skeleton in.  These little polishing touches help me decide where I'm going to place my pictures.


Isn't she a doll?  To add interest (and to stay away from it looking to uniform) I made my picture frames different sizes and set them at different angles.  I want to kiss that girl's face right now!!


I love layering tags and flowers.  Adds dimension, depth and interest.  Don't forget to add shadowing to your elements!


Then comes the bling!  The ribbons, the leaves and the beginning of my text.  Layering these elements in a digital project is easy... and each element's layer can be adjusted time and time again until it looks right to you.  Clustering and layering is a fun technique that is hard to achieve with traditional paper scrapping.  You can only layer so many scraps and embellishments together before you hit your limit with thickness.  In a flat digital image... you can layer and cluster all day long!


Then comes the best part... the journaling.  A picture may say a thousand words, but a personally written passage finishes any scrapbook page off perfectly!  One final thing I love about going digital is I can re-use my favorite kits... did you notice this layout was created with the same kit I used to design my blog? 

Are you new to digital scrapbooking and need a good (easy) program to get you started?  Click HERE to learn more about the program I use & about how you can try it out for FREE!


...






The Shabby Nest    A Vision to Remember     Craft Envy
Someday Crafts   Sew Much Ado    Blue Cricket Designs
Night Owl Crafting     Life in the Pitts   Trendy Treehouse
Somewhat Simple    Life as Lori  Chic on a ShoeString   Scrappy Gifts
Funky Junk Interiors

...
...

6 comments:

Lee T said...

Darling layout! I shed a few tears seeing my Grace. I miss her so much. Give her some extra xoxoxox from Grandma.

Anna said...

This looks like a really interesting blog- thank you for sharing your ideas!
Anna

s.b. said...

Hello! Your scrapbooking pages are so fun! I had no idea that you could do that all on the computer. I'll have to share this with my scrapbooking friends. How fun!

Leslie said...

Oh that turned out darling! I really need to get into this type of scrapbooking! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Scrappy Gifts said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love how you fill up the page and make it look so easy.
Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdaying. Featuring this tomorrow!

Jacque said...

I came over from Scrappy Gifts I think... glad to have found you. I already sent a link to my aunt and told her to check you out! :) I'll be back later when the kids are cooperating to read more. I'm following you now too!
Have a great day!