Friday, July 23, 2010

Design Your Own... Recipe Cards!

(click any image to enlarge)

At my church, I volunteer to work with the 8 to 12 year old girls twice a month in a program called Activity Days.  I get to teach them all kinds of fun things to help them explore and develop their talents.  This week, I thought it would be fun to cool down a bit and show them how to make their own ice-cream at home!  A perfect activity for any kiddo on a hot day or would even make a fun a birthday party activity.  Anyway, we talked about the parts of a recipe and how to make proper measurements... then we went straight to work!  Of course, if you know me... you know I couldn't resist whipping up some fun recipe cards for them to take home! 

Later... I thought it might be nice to do a quick, step-by-step tutorial on how I created the recipe card.  And really, this tutorial can apply to any kind of digital project or layout... it's fun to see how a project comes together as each element is added.


First... you have to choose a digital kit that you like.  For this project, I knew right away that I wanted to use "A Pinch of This, A Dash of That" by Just so Scrappy!  I set my work space in Scrapbook Max to 5 x 7 and overlapped two sheets of the same paper together so that my background fit the work space.


Then, I chose this brown, scalloped element to layer on top.  This element was originally a square, but I "stretched" it with my arrows to elongate it to the length I wanted.  But... the ends of the card looked wierd to me.  I didn't like how the left and right sides of the scallopped edge were blending into the last stripe. 
Can you see what I mean?


So to fix that... I copied the paper I used in the background, flipped it on it's side with my cursor and shrunk it down a bit.  This gave me the contrast I was looking for and definitely made the cute scallopped sides stand out better.  I really liked how that framed in the brown, so I moved on...


This distressed element actually had a tab in the top corner that I didn't want to use, so I cropped it out.  I also stretched and elongated this element to fit the space...  I love how easy that function is in Scrapbook Max.  All you do is drag and pull with your cursor, its' super easy!


Because I had cropped off the "recipe tab" on the last step, I had to add something else to put the recipe title on.  I really liked these colored tabs... but they were too short so I stretched them out.  I usually ALWAYS layer elements like this together when the designer gives them to me in a variety of colors.  I think it adds depth and interest to any project.  I know it looks funny with the holes stretched out, but don't worry... I'm getting there!


To cover my unsightly holes... I added a grouping of flowers.  In the kit, they are the same size, but I made the yellow one a bit smaller to get a more "layered" look.  Again, super easy.  All I'm doing is pulling the graphic with my cursor to make it bigger...  or pushing it in with my cursor to make it smaller.  Then I added a cute button on top.  I want to mention that as I added each element to this project, there is an option to add a "shadow"... always go for the shadow.  It gives your project depth and dimension.  If you don't shadow anything, it will look flat (and boring).


In this next step, I started what's called, "clustering"... which is basically taking a bunch of little elements and clustering or layering them together.  In Scrapbook Max there are some very easy icons on the main menu bar that allow me to pull elements on top of other graphics or push them behind.  As I added each ribbon, I played around with my "send to back" and "bring to front" icons until each ribbon looked like it was where it was supposed to be.  If you take a quick peek at my blog header... I did a ton of "clustering" to achieve that look.  Same exact process, easy.


In one of my final steps, I added longer ribbon to frame in my card.  I could have kept going, but I was happy with it at this point so I stopped and started working with my text.


I am a believer that font selection seals the deal... so I combed through my collection to find exactly what I was looking for...  Cafe Rojo for the title and Cool Dots for the rest!


Here's a blank one for you... this version has a lighter colored tag to write your recipe title on.  Just click to enlarge, right click and "save file as".  Feel free to print some if you'd like OR upload them into your favorite digital program and customize them with your own fun fonts and recipes! 

This project has me dying to give my current recipe box a face lift... guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

*** Do you need a good digital program to get you started? *** 
Download your FREE TRIAL VERSION of Scrapbook Max and give it a try!

...


My tutorial was featured on these blogs...
   ...
Totally Tutorials BlogIt's a Blog Party






...

20 comments:

Christine:) said...

Hi Colette! Wow, I am drooling over your site...and it's not just the mention of an ice cream recipe;) I would adore to have you guest blog on my site- one post or a series, whatever you prefer! My readers are always asking if I do any digital scrapping, and I would really love some great tutorials. Anything you have to offer would be excellent! I am adding you to my blogroll as I speak:) Thanks so much!

Sourkraut said...

Looks neat! The distressed effect really makes it.

Tru@TRU TALES FEATS said...

This is great. Thanks for the tute!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

Really pretty. What a great idea to send home the cool (ha) recipes!

I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting tomorrow. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
Kat
www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

Holly said...

These are awesome. My recipes are a mess...I would love to have them all on beautiful cards like this. Great tutorial. Thanks for linking up to tickled pink!

Judy said...

Thanks for the ice cream recipe...I've been wanting to make some in a can, but didn't have any cans big enough...this will be perfect!

The recipe cards are super cute too :)

AUDRA said...

Love how it came out. I'm going to try this as a gift. Thanks for sharing and linking up this project as well last week! :)
Hope to see more from you! :)

Its A Blog Party said...

How cute!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

Heather said...

This is so cool thanks for sharing the how to. I featured this check it out and grab a button if you'd like.
http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2010/08/design-your-own-recipe-cards.html

Judy said...

The cards are super cute, but we really had a blast making the ice cream...even my 16 month old loved shaking the bag and my 3 year old stole the biggest bowl, refusing to share. Thanks so much!

Ren said...

Hi all,

love all these ideas and the recipes sound great, too. thanks for sharing. Recipe Cards make a great gift for the person who loves to cook. Also, this is a good way to bring back a time-honoured tradition of passing on recipes to your friends and family.

~Mandy~ said...

Love, Love, Love this recipe card...... got the kit and made it myself! FABULOUS!

Tanya Seamons said...

I used your icecream recipe for my Activity Days girls and
they loved it. They even added your recipe card to
their cook books! Thank you for your time and talent!

Colleen said...

I have a dumb question for you. I just downloaded the trial version of Scrapbook Max and have been fooling around with it. So far I love it and plan on purchasing it. However, I really want it to be able to make gift tags and recipe cards. I cannot figure out how to print multiple gift tags on one sheet or 2 recipe cards on one sheet. Can you tell me how to set up my workspace to do this?

Colette said...

Hi, Colleen... Never a dumb question! I design my tags, save them as individual images - then set up a page for printing. I set the page at 8.5x11 then bring the tags in as images. Hope that helps!

Colleen said...

Thanks so much for answering so quickly! Now that makes sense. So, just to get this right, I save my image. Then I can place those images side by side on one page to print multiple images on the same page, correct? I am totally new at this so I apologize for being so green.

Colette said...

Hi, Colleen... Yep. That's right. You'll need to "publish" your tag images as JPEGS, then you can insert them as images onto a new page. Just make sure your new page settings are 8.5x11 and 200 dpi. Then, just print. So fun!

Colleen said...

Colette thank you so much. You are so helpful and so inspirational. I have spent hours here on your blog and am just amazed at how creative you are!

Colette said...

You are so sweet, thank you! I'm flattered and very excited that I've inspired you!! :) Have fun creating!

Justin Roberts said...

The recipe cards are really adorable. I may have to print a few out for my cousin sister’s marriage. Thanks for sharing this!